Toolkit Link: http://bit.ly/FixHR40MarkupToolkit
The National Assembly of American Slavery Descendants (NAASD), a grassroots association of community organizers, is glad to partner with you around this common aim of obtaining Reparations for Black American Descendants of U.S. Chattel Slavery. We are excited that H.R.40 is entering the House Committee on the Judiciary markup. We now have a historic opportunity to advance the best bill possible to the floor.
H.R.401 will be strengthened by including the following amendments:
On Wednesday, April 14th, 2021, the House Committee on the Judiciary will hold a historic markup of H.R. 40, legislation to study and develop slavery reparations proposals.
Together we can finally achieve reparative racial justice for the Descendants of U.S. Chattel Slavery! Your advocacy and outreach will help ensure that our amendments are introduced and reflected in the final legislation.
We ask you to:
- Help Spread the Word
- Do Legislator Outreach on Monday, April 12th and Tuesday, April 13th
- Participate in Tweetstorms
- Use the #FIXHR40 & #HR40Markup Hashtags
📣 Help Spread the Word 📣
Download and share this meme on your social media platforms & tag us in your posts!
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/FixHr40
Hashtags: #FixHR40 | #AmendHR40 | #HR40MarkUp
📞 Legislator Outreach 📞
Help us reach the key leaders of the House Judiciary Committee. This will increase our likelihood of edits being introduced during the markup session.
Please email and call a total of 16 identified Congressional members from both parties.
This will allow us to:
- Respond to any legislator questions about edits
- Use these responses to help us with our roll call
- Gauge support & determine where we need to do more
We need your help to amplify our demands via direct emails, calls, and tweets
to legislators on the committee.
- First copy/paste script into the body of the email
- Please include the email of the legislator in the “To” line and the FixHR40@gmail.com in the “CC” of the email.
- Email all members of the committee through separate emails (because mass emails may go to spam)
- Lastly, please call members of the Judiciary using the phone script below
- If you don’t feel comfortable leaving your number, please tell the office to contact FixHR40@gmail.com
- Please be courteous at all times, even if staffers are rude to you.
- It’s preferable to ask for a judiciary portfolio manager or legislative staffer. However, if not available, just relay message to whoever answers the phone
- If no one answers, leave a voicemail.
|TO: [CONGRESS MEMBER’S EMAIL]CC: [FIXHR40@GMAIL.COM]
[SUBJECT LINE] URGENT! HR40 – Amendments to HR40 Request
I’m a part of a national coalition of reparations advocates concerned with the current version of H.R.40.
I’m writing today to urge you to introduce the following three essential amendments, during the markup session on H.R.40 on Wednesday, April 14, 2021:
Thank you for considering our request. I look forward to watching the H.R.40 Markup Session on Wednesday, April 14th. I hope to see these edits introduced at this historical and monumental event.
Who can I talk to about these requests? Who in this office is directly responsible for relations with the Judiciary Committee?
If you have questions, please contact FixHR40@gmail.com
Thank you for considering my request. Enjoy your day.
Please call and email each of the following legislators:
|Black Judiciary Members|
|1.||Sheila Jackson Lee
(Author of HR40)
|4.||Val Butler Demings
📱 Participate in HR40 Tweetstorm 📱
On Wednesday, April 14th, at 7:00 AM PST/ 9:00 AM CST / 10:00 AM EST, we will be live-tweeting during the H.R.40 Markup Session, using the hashtags listed below.
The markup will stream live here
- Please remember to use hashtags:
|#FIXHR40 | #HR40Markup|
| Social Media
Amplify our demands by using the hashtags below on social media and by following and retweeting content from our social media leads
#FixHR40 Campaign – @FixHr40